Monday, January 7, 2008

II. 735 to 757

Aeneid II. 735 to 757
735 Hic mihi nescio quod trepido male numen amicum
Here I don’t know which divinity badly friendly [i.e. unfriendly] took [my]
confused mind from me agitated.
litotes
736 confusam eripuit mentem. Namque avia cursu
For while I follow remote [places] by running
737 dum sequor et nota excedo regione viarum,
and depart from the known region of roads,
738 heu misero coniunx fatone erepta Creusa
alas! [whether] wife Creusa stopped, snatched by miserable fate,
739 substitit, erravitne via seu lapsa resedit,
or wandered from the road or sat down having fallen,
740 incertum; nec post oculis est reddita nostris.
[is] uncertain; nor afterward was she returned to our eyes.
741 nec prius amissam respexi animumve reflexi
Nor did I look back at the lost one or turn back my mind before
tmesis
prius/quam
742 quam tumulum antiquae Cereris sedemque sacratam
we came to the mound of ancient Ceres and the sacred seat.
743 venimus. Hic demum collectis omnibus una
Here finally with all gathered one was missing,
744 defuit, et comites natumque virumque fefellit.
and she deceived the comrades and her son and her man.
745 Quem non incusavi amens hominumque deorumque,
Whom did I not accuse insane both of men and gods,
746 aut quid in eversa vidi crudelius urbe?
or what did I see more cruel in the destroyed city?
747 Ascanium Anchisenque patrem Teucrosque Penates
I entrust Ascanius and father Anchises and the Trojan Penates
748 commendo sociis et curva valle recondo;
to my comrades and I hide [them] in the curved valley;
749 ipse urbem repeto et cingor fulgentibus armis.
I myself seek again the city and am encircled with the flashing arms (armor).
Hysteron
Proteron
750 Stat casus renovare omnes omnemque reverti
It is decided to renew all the misfortunes and return through all Troy
751 per Troiam et rursus caput obiectare periclis. *synechdoche
and again to expose [my] head to dangers.
752 Principio muros obscuraque limina portae,
First I seek again the walls and the dark thresholds of the gate,
753 qua gressum extuleram, repeto et vestigia retro
where I had carried forth the step, and again I follow the observed footsteps
754 observata sequor per noctem et lumine lustro:
through the night and I survey with eye(s):
755 horror ubique animo, simul ipsa silentia terrent.
the horror [is] everywhere for my soul, at the same time the silences themselves
terrify.
756 inde domum, si forte pedem, si forte tulisset,
Thence I bring myself back home, if by chance, if by chance she had carried her
foot [there]:
757 me refero: inruerant Danai et tectum omne tenebant.
the Greeks had rushed in and were holding all the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment